Thursday, October 16, 2008

Eye Sugery

Milo had surgery to unblock his tear ducked today. We got there at about 6:00am and they didn't take him back until 7:45am. He was so tired and hungry that he was zoned and fussy by the time they finally took him back. I was so proud of him though he only threw one fit when they went to put the thing that measures his pulse and oxygen levels on his toe and then put his ankle tags on.

The procedure didn't take long (about 20-25 minutes) and when the Dr. came out to tell us he was out of surgery he said that Milo's tear ducted would never have come unblocked by it's self and that the blockage was so thick and hard that it bent the tool he was using when he put it in there. That made me feel better because I was beating myself up a little thinking that if I had fought Milo more and massaged his tear duct more he could have been spared surgery. But the Dr. said that he definitely needed it and there was nothing I could have done.

Milo has been sleepy and wanted to be held all day long so we have been switching out holding and rocking him. He woke up for his nap at 3:00 running a 102.4 degree fever. I called the Dr. and they said that was a normal reaction to the anesthesia and to just give him Tylenol. So I did and stripped he down to his diaper and rocked him for two hours. Two hours later I took his temperature again and the fever still hadn't broken so I called his Pediatrician and they said he could have Motrin and to alternate Tylenol and Motrin through the night to keep his fever down. About an hour and a half after I gave him the Motrin his fever is now down to 99.6 and he is feeling well enough to get down out of our laps and play a little.

I will be so glad when this day is over and Milo eye and nose stop leaking bloody tears. I hate looking at them. That paired with his major need to cuddle makes me think he must not feel good.
"Mama, it's way to early to be in my carseat."
Milo entertaining himself in pre-op with the stroller wheel
Walking to Mama
Daddy and Baby Boy in pre-op
He was starting to get really cranky. Doesn't he look pitiful
Mama trying to entertain Baby Boy
That's better
Getting him in his hospital duds
The dreaded ankle tags.
He threw quite a tantrum when they put these on.
"pssd...Milo, your diaper is showing."
Daddy trying to entertain him by pointing out all the characters on his gown.
He eventually got so tired that he laid his head down on my shoulder and didn't want to be put down after that for that whole day.
The surgical nurse coming to take Milo back to surgery. It was harder than I could have imagined to watch a stranger take my baby away to have surgery even thought I knew that this surgery was not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
The peanut gallery (Nanny, Papa, Memaw and Pepa) brought us doughnuts and came to offer their support. It was so sweet of them and I am grateful.
Milo after surgery.
He got a got cut his face from the surgical tape they used to tape his mask on.
He pretty much stayed in this position all day. He would start wailing and clinging to my shirt when I tried to set him down. He just wanted to nurse or suck on his paci and rock.
They said that his eye would probably leak like that for about 24 hours. When we got home it started coming out of his nose. They said that was really common though.



jaxmom said...

Oh my goodness! Poor baby....I'm so glad for you all that the surgery is over and now you can just focus on helping him get better. Milo's a brave little man!!

Nessa said...

Poor little guy! I hope he's feeling better today. Hugs to all three of you. Love y'all!

The Q. Family said...

I am so glad his surgery is over and his eye duct is fixed! You were so brave! I KWYM about handing him over to the nurse... that was the worst part for me too! I'm so glad it's over. Prayers for fast healing sweetie!

Shannah said...

Oh--what a baby! You all did great!

(And if I'm not mistaken, I recognize that hospital system, and that doctor...)

I'm so sorry, and I'll keep praying for Milo to heal up fast and soon and be back to his normal go-get-um self!

Stephanie said...

I am just stopping by to check on Milo. I wanted to warn you about the bloody tears. That's what did it for me. Freaked me out! I went back and forth on whether to let you in on that little secret. I hope your doctor warned you about that, mine didn't! Jakes eye was also a little blood shot too, so it looked pretty scary. They actually had to remove his eye I think. AGGGHHHHHHH! Anyhoo... Milo looks GREAT! Ya, I always give my kids Motrin for fever... tylenol if they are just teething or fussy. I started giving infant motrin at 6 months. It's a lifesaver. Speaking of, I wanted to check in on you first thing yesterday, but Daisy has strep and we ended up at the Pediatric clinic all morning! Yay! So glad to see that all is over and well! Give bambino a big hug!

Elaine said...

I am so glad the surgery is over. I do hope he is feeling better today (Sat.). Hugs!

Kathy said...

OH MAN!! I can logically, understnad the bloody tears but I would have sooo freaked out! I guess he didnt see them little prince!